- PhD Rutgers University 1991
- MS Rutgers University 1989
- ME Chinese Academy of Sciences 1987
- BS University of Science & Tech of China 1984
Dr Xiao joined Nanyang Technological University in 1991 and became Associate Professor in 2000. He was the supervisor for Mechanics of Material Lab from 1998-2002, the deputy director of Maritime Research Centre (NTU) from 2007-2010. Over the years, Dr Xiao has established close academic and research links with universities in United States of America, United Kingdom and China. Beside technical conference presentations and workshops, Dr Xiao has published more than 100 papers in international journals. Dr Xiao also acts as reviewer for internally renowned journals and is an Associate Editor for JMEP. He regularly conducts training and executive workshops for engineers and researchers in fracture and fatigue of engineering materials and structures, particularly for offshore structures. Recent years, Dr. Xiao has close research collaborations with Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore (MPA) and DNV on Fatigue and Failure Prevention for offshore and ship structures.
Fatigue and Failure Analysis/Testing of Engineering Materials and Structures, Elastic-plastic Fracture Mechanics on Offshore and Ship Structures, Mechanics of Interacting Defects in Welding Joints and Mechanics of Composite Materials
|Elastic-plastic Fracture and Fatigue Analysis for offshore pipe lines|
The submarine pipelines transporting gases and liquids can be subjected to a variety of loads ranging from internal pressure to external wave loading. Flaws contained in the parent material or in the weldments can occur in service by mechanical damage, corrosion, etc. The significance of flaws in welds due to the combination of static and cyclic stresses will be assessed in this project.
|Fracture Capacity Investigation of Pipeline Girth Welds during Installation and Operation |
In this project, the fracture responses (CTOD) of a pipeline with semi-ellipse surface crack and ellipse embedded crack in girth weld subject to large plastic deformation are analyzed by 3D elastic-plastic finite element method. A user-friend strain-based fracture assessment diagram is proposed for girth welded pipelines with surface crack and embedded crack under large deform.
|On the micromechanics of defects in Composite Materials|
Micro-Mechanics Investigations of Failure and Reliability Behaviors for cracks in fiber-reinforced composites have been carried out. Particularly, the interactions between cracks and inclusions are analyzed with 3-phase composite model and plastic-zone corrections.
Research Students under supervision
||Elastic-plastic Stress Investigation on Crack Problems in Composite Materials |
||Failure Analysis And Damage Prevention On Pipelines Under Extreme Conditions |
||Fracture Mechanics Investigation on Interacting Defects in Composite Materials |
|Mohammad Zaidi Bin Ariffin
||Elastic-plastic Fracture Mechanics Investigation on Offshore Structures and Materials |
- “A Zener-Stroh Crack in Fiber-reinforced Composites with Generalized Irwin Plastic Zone Correction”. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences (in press).
- “Elastic-Plastic Stress Investigation for an Arc-shaped Interface Crack in Composite Material”. International Journal of Mechanical Sciences (in press).
- “On the fracture behaviour of an interface crack with plastic zone corrections”. MECHANICS OF MATERIALS, Volume: 64 Pages: 128-134, SEP 2013.
- “Elastic-plastic analysis of a sub-interface crack in a coating-substrate composite”. International Journal of Solids and Structures. Volume 50, Issue 2, 414–422. 15 January 2013
- "On the fracture behavior of a Zener-Stroh crack with plastic zone correction in three-phase cylindrical composite material," Mechanics of Materials,Vol. 45, 1-9, 2012.
- “On the plastic zone size and the crack tip opening displacement of an interface crack between two dissimilar materials”. Internal Journal of Fracture, Volume 176, Issue 1, 97-104. 2012
- “Crack Tip Opening Displacement of a Dugdale Crack in a Three-Phase Cylindrical Model Composite Material”, International Journal of Engineering Science, Vol 49, 523 – 535, 2011.
- “Analysis of a screw dislocation interacting with an elliptical nano inhomogeneity”, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING SCIENCE, Vol.47 No. 9, 883-893, 2009.
- “Stress analysis on a Zener crack nucleation from an eccentric wedge disclination in a cylinder”, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENGINEERING SCIENCE, Vol.47 No. 9, 811 - 820, 2009.
- “A piezoelectric screw dislocation interacts with interfacial collinear rigid lines in piezoelectric bimaterials,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 44 (1), 255-271, 2007.
- Ultimate Load Of Beams Under Bending
- Engineering Mathematics
- Engineering Design
- Mechanics Of Aerospace Materials
- Mechanics Of Materials