- PhD University of Leeds 1983
- MS University of Rochester 1980
- BSc(Hons) University of Leeds 1977
Originally from Kuching, Sarawak. Graduated with a first class bachelor degree from the University of Leeds (1977), master degree from the University of Rochester (1980) and doctorate degree from the University of Leeds (1983), all in mechanical engineering. Worked for 7.5 years as a software developer in PAFEC Ltd., an engineering software company in Nottingham, UK, before joining the then School of Mechanical and Production Engineering, Nanyang Technological University in January 1991 as senior lecturer. Has remained in the same school since.
Was chairman of the inaugural SIGGRAPH Asia Conference in 2008 and is now the chairman of the SIGGRAPH Asia Conference Advisory Group.
Keen squash player. Still going despite rupturing an Achilles tendon some years ago. But less vigorously. Love nature and greenery. Leeds United supporter, but there is little cheer there.
Computer graphics, geometric modelling, CAD/CAM/CAE, image analysis and applications, virtual reality.
|Recovery of 3D models from 2D drawings and images|
With applications in conceptual design, 3D reconstruction of objects from photographs and artwork, both accurate and approximate.
[Robotics & Automation]
|Motion capture using a single video camera|
Basically the recovery of 3D human posture from a 2D image; string up multiple images to form the motion. Requires image extraction and processing.
[Biomedical & Sports]
|Ship compartment volume calculation|
Calculating volume of liquid cargo compartments in ships from actual measurement data. Provide estimates of depth of cargo at different lists and trims.
[Industrial Eng & Design]
Research Staff and Student under supervision
|Leong Mei Chee
||Protein-protein Docking based on Geometric Complementarity |
- F Fang* and YT Lee, “Efficient decomposition of line drawings of connected manifolds without face identification”, Computer-Aided Design, Volume 51, pp 18-30, June 2014.
- MC Leong*, YT Lee and F Fang*, “A Search-and-Validate Method for Face Identification from Single Line Drawings”, IEEE Transaction on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Volume 35, Number 11, pp2576-2591, November 2013.
- F Fang* and YT Lee, 3D reconstruction from drawings with straight and curved edges. SIGGRAPH Asia 2013 Technical Brief, DOI:10.1145/2542355.2542357, Hong Kong, November, 2013.
- YT Lee and F Fang*, “A new hybrid method for 3D object recovery from 2D drawings and its validation against the cubic corner method and the optimisation-based method”, Computer-Aided Design, Volume 44, Number 11, pp 1090–1102, November 2012.
- Y Liu* and YT Lee, “Optimization-based Freeform Shape Reconstruction”, 3D Research, Volume 3, Number 3, 2012.
- F Fang* and YT Lee, “3D Reconstruction of Polyhedral Objects from Single Perspective Projections Using Cubic Corner”, 3D Research, Volume 3, pp 1-8, 2012.
- YT Lee and F Fang*, “3D Reconstruction of Polyhedral Objects from Single Parallel Projections Using Cubic Corner”, Computer-aided Design, Volume 43, Number. 8, pp1025-1034, 2011.
- Y Liu* and YT Lee, Optimization-based 3D Reconstruction of Freeform Shapes from 2D Line Drawings, 3IA'2011 International Conference Computer Graphics and Artificial Intelligence, Athens, May 27-28, 2011.
- Y Sun* and YT Lee, “Regularity Selection for Effective 3D Object Reconstruction from a Single Line Drawing”, Pattern Recognition Letters, Volume 29, Issue 10, pp 1486-1495, July 2008.
- Computational Methods In Engineering
- Computer-Aided Engineering
- Visualisation And Virtual Reality In Product Design