- PhD Council for National Academic Awards 1985
- BSc(Hons) Council for National Academic Awards 1979
Dr. Tor Shu Beng is an associate professor of the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, NTU. He is also the Programme Director for the Marine and Offshore Programme, Singapore Centre for 3D Printing. He served as a faculty fellow of the Singapore MIT Alliance (SMA) from 2000-2013 and the course coordinator of the SMA program on Manufacturing Systems and Technology (MST) from 2000-2010. He had also served as the Head of the Manufacturing Engineering Division and as the Associate Chair (Academic) of the School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering before July 2011. His research focuses on micro-replication processes, tooling for micro-replication, mold and tooling design and most recently Additive Manufacturing.
micro-replication processes, tooling for micro-replication, microfluidics and Additive Manufacturing.
Research Staff and Students under supervision
||Senior Research Fellow
||Microstructures and mechanical properties of electron beam melted Ti-6A1-4V with applications in marine and offshore.|
||Additive Manufacturing of High Tensile Strength Steel for Offshore & Marine 3D Complex Joint Applications |
||Simulation and topoligical optimization of additive manufacturing|
Selected Publications (click here for full publication list in PDF)
- Pengyi Tian; Nay Win Khun; Shu Beng Tor; Erjia Liu; Yu Tian, 2015, Tribological Behavior of Zr-Based Bulk Metallic Glass Sliding Against Polymer, Ceramic, and Metal Materials, Intermetallics, june 2015, vol 61 (2015) 1-8.
- Z. Z. Chong, SB Tor, NH Loh, TN Wong, A M Ganan-Galvo, SW Tan and Nam-Trung Nguyen, 2015, Acoustofluidic control of bubble size in microfluidic flow-focusing configuration, lab on a chip, 2015, vol 15, issue 4, pp996-999.
- Xipeng Tan, Yihong Kok, Yu Jun Tan, Guglielmo Vastola, Qing Xiang Pei, Gang Zhang, Yong-Wei Zhang, Shu Beng Tor, Kah Fai Leong, Chee Kai Chua, 2015, An experimental and simulation study on building thickness dependent microstructure for electron beam melted Ti-6Al-4V, Journal of Alloys and Compounds, 646 (2015): 303-309.
- Xipeng Tan, Yihong Kok, Yu Jun Tan, Marion Descoins, Dominique Mangelinck, Shu Beng Tor, Kah Fai Leong, Chee Kai Chua, 2015 Graded microstructure and mechanical properties of additive manufactured Ti-6Al-4V via electron beam melting, Acta Materialia, sept 2015, vol 97 (2015): 1-16.
- Z. Z. Chong, Tan S. H., Tor S. B., Loh N. H., & Gañán-Calvo A. M., 2016, Active droplet generation in microfluidics, Lab on a Chip 01/2015; DOI:10.1039/c5lc01012h, Volume 16, Issue 1, 2016, Pages 35-58, Jan 2016.
- Z. Z. Chong, Tor S. B., Gañán-Calvo A. M., Chong Z. J., Loh N. H., Nguyen N.-T. & Tan S. H., 2016, Automated droplet measurement (ADM): An enhanced video processing software for rapid droplet measurements, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics (2016), 20(4), 1-14, DOI 10.1007/s10404-016-1722-5.
- P. Wang, Xipeng Tan, N.L.S. Nai, S. B. Tor & J. Wei, 2016, Spatial and geometrical-based characterization of microstructure and microhardness for an electron beam melted Ti-6Al-4V component, Materials and Design, Volume 95, PP287-295, Published:APR 5 2016.
- Xipeng Tan, Yihong Kok, Wei Quan Toh, Yu Jun Tan, Marion Descoins, Dominique Mangelinck, Shu Beng Tor, Kah Fai Leong, Chee Kai Chua, 2016, Revealing martensitic transformation and α/β interface evolution in electron beam melting three-dimensional-printed Ti-6Al-4V, Sci. Rep. 6, 26039; doi: 10.1038/srep26039 (2016).
- Z.J. Sun, X.P. Tan, S.B. Tor and W.Y. Yeong, 2016, Selective laser melting of stainless steel 316L with low porosity and high build rates, Materials and Design, Volume 104, 15 August 2016, Pages 197-204.
- Yu Jun Tan, Xipeng Tan, Wai Yee Yeong, and Shu Beng Tor, 2016, Additive Manufacturing of Patient-Customizable Scaffolds for Tubular Tissues by Melt-drawing Method, Materials, Volume 9, Issue 11, November 2016, Article number 893.
- Engineering Graphics
- Mechanical System Design And Analysis
- Cad/Cam And CNC
- Computer-Aided Engineering
- Computer-Aided Design