- PhD. Materials Science, ETH Zürich, Switzerland (2017)
- MSc. Materials Science, ETH Zürich, Switzerland (2013)
- Dipl. Eng. ESPCI Paris, France (2012)
Dr. Le Ferrand received an Ingénieur Degree from the Ecole Supérieure de Physique et de Chimie Industrielle de la ville de Paris (ESPCI Paris), France in 2012 and a Master Degree in Materials Science from ETH Zürich (Switzerland) in 2013. In January 2017, she graduated from ETH Zürich with a PhD in Materials Science on the fabrication of bio-inspired materials. Before joining the Center for Biomimetic Sensor Science at NTU as a visiting postdoctoral scholar, she stayed at the school of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering at Purdue University, IN, USA to study morphing structures. Beginning 2019, she joined the schools of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering and of Materials Science and Engineering of NTU as an assistant professor.
Microstructured composites and ceramics, colloidal manipulation, additive manufacturing, structural properties, functional dense matter
- H. Le Ferrand, F. Bouville. (2019). Processing of dense bio-inspired ceramics with deliberate microtexture. Journal of the American Ceramic Society.
- H. Le Ferrand. (2019). Modeling the effect of microstructure on elastic wave propagation in platelet-reinforced composites and ceramics. Composite Structures, 224, 111105.
- T. Magrini, F. Bouville, A. Lauria, H. Le Ferrand, T. Niebel, A.R. Studart. (2019). Transparent and tough bulk composites inspired by nacre. Nature Communications, 10, 2794.
- H. Le Ferrand, M. Duchamp, D. Gabryelczyk, C. Hao, A. Miserez. (2019). Time-resolved observations of liquid-liquid phase separation at the nanoscale using in situ Liquid Transmission Electron Microscopy. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 17, 7202.
- H. Le Ferrand, A.R. Studart, A.F. Arrieta. (2019). Filtered mechanosensing using snapping composites with embedded mechano-electrical transduction. ACS Nano, 4, 4752.
- S. Amini, M. Tadayon, J.J. Loke, A. Kumar, D. Kanagavel, H. Le Ferrand, M. Duchamp, M. Raida, R.M. Sobota, L. Chen, S. Hoon, A. Miserez. (2019) A diecast mineralization process forms the tough mantis shrimp dactyl club, PNAS 18, 8685.
- H. Le Ferrand, F. Bouville, A.R. Studart, (2019). Design of textured multi-layered structures via magnetically assisted slip casting, Soft Matter 15, 3886.
- K. Riley, H. Le Ferrand, A.F. Arrieta, Modeling of snapping composite shells with magnetically aligned bio-inspired reinforcements, Smart Materials and Structures 27 (2018), 114003.
- H. Le Ferrand, S. Bolisetty, A.F. Demirörs, R. Libanori, A.R. Studart, R. Mezzenga, Magnetic assembly of transparent and conducting graphene-based functional composites, Nature Communications 7 (2016), 12078.
- H. Le Ferrand, F. Bouville, T.P. Niebel, A.R. Studart, Magnetically assisted slip-casting of bio-inspired heterogeneous composites, Nature Materials 14 (2015), 1172.